RocketDock although not having been updated for quite a long time still works on Windows 11. One of the long time popular plugins for it is the stacks plugin which allows you to show a stack of files from a folder (the folder contain anything, shortcuts, programs, etc).
In Windows 11 RocketDock does not have the proper permissions to save it’s settings files out. Being from circa 2007 it attempts to store it’s INI files in it’s program files folder and not somewhere where the user would have permissions like the appdata folder.
The fix is to give your user account full control permissions to the following folder:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock
To change the folder permissions you can do the following:
- Open Windows Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock
- Right click on the folder and goto properties
- Click on the security tab
- Click the ‘Edit’ button.
- Click the ‘Add’ button and add your user account by name into the ‘Group or user names’ box.
- Select ‘Allow’ for ‘Full Control’
- Click ‘Ok’ to close all of the dialogs.
This will fix both saving the settings from RocketDock as well as the settings from the Stacks plugin.